Birthday Countdown

NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Friday, November 21, 2008

Holiday Traditions

I know it's not December yet, and I am supposed to RESPECT THE TURKEY, and all that, but something started me thinking about what I want to incorporate into our family traditions for Christmas.

Of course we will try our hardest to go to a Christmas Eve church service. I also want to buy E "Twas the Night Before Christmas" and begin reading that every year. That can be her one gift to open on Christmas Eve this year! And I can't believe it has been playing on TV already, but I LOVE "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" and want to make sure we watch that. Although maybe not until Christmas day.

The Grinch may not make an appearance this year though, because I am trying to wait for at least a year, maybe longer, before E is consciously plopped in front of the TV for her entertainment. Now, she has definitely watched the TV- whether by just being with us while we have the TV on or when she was younger to get her attention enough to stop her crying, but I am not ready to include it in her life as a go-to activity at this point.

Also, something that we had a lot growing up- since it is one of my Dad's favorites- is Swedish tea ring , for Christmas morning. Luckily, my mom will be around this year, so I won't have to start making that just yet :)

And I think a really important thing to realize is that we are a complete family- there are others that we love and want to see or miss- but all we really NEED to do is be together and enjoy the day. This is especially true while E is young and still caught up in the magic of Christmas. As I have already seen and my co-workers keep telling me- she will be grown in no time and I want to be able to squeeze every bit of joy out of this time as possible.

OK- now I promise to think about Thanksgiving for the rest of the day....

No comments: