Birthday Countdown

NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Tiptoeing into the world of cloth diapers

I have been contemplating this off and on for a while, but with the ability to only do it part time (can't CD at daycare), I didn't know if it would be worth it. After all, a big part of CDing is the cost savings aspect- as long as you can control your urges to buy every little cute cover, bag, etc out there and just stick to the basics!

Would using cloth be worth it only overnight and on the weekend? Well, I don't know. But I have finally decided to give it a shot anyway, and will be getting a variety of goodies in the mail over the next week or so.

I decided to get several different types including prefolds (which are the most cost effective), all in ones, one size pockets, and a couple of one size fitteds. Throw in a couple of waterproof covers, some doublers for extra absorbancy, and a few other little accessories, and I really hope we are all set for quite a while!

The good thing about only doing it part-time is that the amount of laundry is greatly reduced. I know people say that diaper laundry is not as bad because there isn't a lot of sorting or folding involved, but I will still be greatful not to add another load every other day to the rotation.

Another great thing about CDing is that (as gross as it may sound) there is definitely a large market for used cloth diapers, so if this doesn't work out for us, or even if it does and they are still in good condition, there is a very real possibility that some of this money will be coming back. You definitely can't say that for disposables!

Wish us luck!

1 comment:

Miche said...

Oh fun, I think you will really like it! Every time I do a load of laundry I count up the diapers and realize how much we are saving. And you can save them and use them with your next baby! If you like the prefolds, I have some extras I can sent you since we went with the bumgenius adjustable ones (made the most since for us and AJ looking to be a far way from potty training.)And you're right, used cloth diapers are a hot commodity, I got most of mine used from mom4life.com-you get 5% off if you sign up for her newsletter too