Birthday Countdown

NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Baby talk

How do you really know when a baby says their first word? They are saying dada and mama from so early on. Sure, sometimes they babble it, but other times you swear it is in reference to mommy or daddy. So I don't think I really want to count either of those as first words.
Also, there is the issue with not understanding what in the world a baby is saying even when they do start to talk. Maybe they have been "talking" for a long time, only you are too dumb to understand what they are saying! It just all so subjective, and it kind of stresses me out that I am expected to put a little "first word" sticker on a calendar to mark the momentous event.

Here is what prompted this post:
Last night, E and I were sitting on the floor. She went over to her hippo and started taking balls out of its mouth. Then she would hand them to me, one by one, saying "datzzzzz" each time. Now, she is obviously saying something because it was very deliberate. If she thinks she is saying an intelligible word, does that count? I am thinking she probably means "got" or "that", but she could be saying zebra or monkey for all I know!

1 comment:

Miche said...

You know, we had the same problem with AJ, but decided that we would count the first word we could recognize, since we would probably not be able to remember whatever sounds he thought was a word. And it ended up his first word (beyond mama and dada, we didn't count those either since he'd been babbling dada since 6 months)was "woof, woof" for Eddie. He did start saying "mommy" and "daddy" pretty quick after that, so we counted those three as the first things he said for his baby book. Ben will be the same way, since he has been sounding "mama" forever...we will wait and see what "real" word he says first. It will probably be "food" :)